Saturday, November 28, 2009

1 Timothy 2:5-6

1 Timothy 2:5-6

2:5 For there is one God; there is also one mediator between God and humankind, Christ Jesus, himself human, 2:6 who gave himself a ransom for all--this was attested at the right time.

Ever since I was a teenager I’ve had this mental image of the judgment throne of God, as a courtroom with myself on trial before the Almighty. I envision myself sitting behind the desk of the accused. The one on trial with no one to represent me but myself. I know all that I have done wrong in my life. All of the sins that I have committed. All of the people whom I failed to help. Failed to serve. Failed to notice. I am aware of all of this and of the knowledge that I am doomed. Once God opens up the ledger of my deeds and misdeeds I know that I will be cast into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. And I’m scared. And hopeless. And suddenly God does open that ledger of my life and flips through the pages, looks me in the eye and says, “All is well! The pages are blank! Welcome into my presence.” I’m shocked. I’m grateful. I’m overjoyed. I’m aware that someone is there next to me, behind the defendant desk. And it’s Christ Jesus. The mediator.

Lord Jesus, thank you for making things right. Amen

1 comment:

  1. It seems as I evolve in faith, the battle becomes one against myself to kill all of the "mental images" I have thought up throughout my life to define God and God's intentions. Expecting to be satisfied, safe and accepted is the opposite of fear....completely un-human-nature.

    ReplyDelete