Friday, December 11, 2009

1 John 4:7-11

1 John 4:7-11

4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins. Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another.

An old song comes to mind when I read this passage. I remember my father trying to teach my confirmation class this song, and it has made such an impression on me because I kept getting the words all switched around, and I probably will in this devotional as well. It goes something like this:
“Beloved let us love on another, For love is of God, and everyone who loveth God is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not..(clap clap clap) knoweth not God for God is love, beloved let us love one another, first John 4, 7 and 8.”
Whew!! Tongue twister there (we can thank King James for that!). I actually had to call my father to get the words straight. The point here? As disciples of Jesus Christ we are called to LOVE ONE ANOTHER. God’s call is that we take the time to uplift and encourage each other. To help each other. To feed each other, both spiritually and physically. My friends, there are many people out there in the world around us who need to experience the love of God. They can experience that love through you. When we practice love, the love of God shines through and infects those around us. As you go through your day today, give it a try. The homeless person on the street? Smile at him/her. Your coworker who’s having a tough time with life? Listen. Encourage. Uplift. Love.

Gracious and redeeming God, thank you for your ever sustaining love. Help me to love others as you command. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment